Saturday, February 16, 2008


Eric and I go real good together for lots of reasons; 1. his gemini to my leo 2. his baking to my cooking. Truth be told, I'm no baker. I fake it. The feats I've shared with you here are the few worth mentioning. My problem is simple - I can't measure. For example, last night as we got our things together to make brownie sundaes for dinner (genius, I know) we realized that the measuring cups are at my house. My suggestion that we estimate didn't go over well. So I ran to the neighbors to borrow some, while Eric got busy (he cleans before he cooks...wow).


So anyway, I am pretty fussy about brownies and all, but this is hands down the best brownie I've had. Even the cat was incredulous. The ice cream, in case you're wondering is mint chocolate cookie, a bit of an indulgence...but the equivalent of brushing your teeth.


1 cup salted butter, at room temperature by way of radiator perhaps
2 cups sugar
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 cup walnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Butter and flour a 9x13-inch square pan.

2. Place the softened butter in a large bowl or the bowl of an electric mixer, and whisk until it is pale yellow and light. Add the sugar and whisk until the mixture is light and fluffy. Whisk in the cooled chocolate, then add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla, then sift in the flour, cocoa and the salt and fold them in until combined. Fold in the nuts until they are well distributed throughout the batter.

3. Transfer the batter to the prepared baking pan, smoothing it out evenly, and bake in the center of the oven until the brownies have puffed slightly around the edges and are shiny on the surface, about 30 minutes. They will be very moist in the center. Remove from the oven and let cool before cutting into squares.

2 comments:

P said...

I loved "by way of a radiator perhaps." This is exactly my approach to baking, though it sounds as though my results are not quite as good as yours! I don't like measuring, either, which means most of my creations never make it to the dinner table...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.