Tuesday, November 3, 2009


A drawing by Daniel Tammet, illustrating how he visualizes numbers. The full article on Asperger's here in the Times...


***

It was a day neither strange nor-normal.
1. I walked Nea to the dog park around 8:15, an unusually excellent coffee in hand, to enjoy some dog socializing - an activity that would have made me fake-vomit in years past, but which today I rather enjoy.

There, I was confronted by Richie - a rather large man, chain smoker, MTA worker, wearer of George Michael earring (hoop, cross), conspiracy theorist - you get the gist.

While my dog refused to play with the other dogs, Richie pontificated:

"I wish I had my video camera...these cops (pointing at no cops in sight) are driving around the park pulling down the Vote-Thompson posters."

As I opened my mouth, time slowed, and I painfully watched myself voicing support for Mayor Bloomberg. I'll spare you the details of the argument that ensued. Suffice it to say, Nea should have done something...dropped a stick my my feet...started a fight that required my attention.
__

2. We're getting a glass storefront installed this week.

3. John is visiting from Minneapolis.

4. Lunch time; I ate noodles and watched the Statue of Liberty.

5. I refilled my kombucha jars. We have to talk about that at some point.

6. Is 8:22 too early to go to bed?

7. RIP CLS, I'm taking this opportunity to brush up on Structuralism. See #6.

...the possibility of not being, the burden of mortality...
{WINKING SMILY FACE EMODICON}

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I come for the brilliant comedic writing and gorgeous flower photographs but today I have to say thanks for the link to the fascinating article. As a teacher I love to read articles about how the minds of students with autism/aspergers works.

LPC said...

I would not have predicted that you would be the one to note Levi-Strauss's passing but it makes me terribly, terribly happy.

evencleveland said...

I think this is the answer I have been seeking for the emoticon dilemma.

Dog parks are fascinating places, probably ripe for anthropological analysis. RIP CLS.

(And it was awfully nice to meet you the other day.)

jenny said...

I wish I were getting married again so you could do my flowers. Your stuff is so gorgeous--and to think that it is all made by someone with a funny, sharp mind is even better. I apologize for sounding like a stalker, but I freaking love your work.

Donna said...

I have a friend at Brown University studying for her doctorate in anthropology. I'm sure she knows all about structuralism...

Laura. said...

yay, minneapolis (visitor)!

Jo said...

Yes, let's do talk about kombucha.

prettygoblin said...

Tee hee. That was your first Richie encounter? He once tried to show me what to do to defend myself by thrusting three fingers at my neck and saying, "three to the throat." Each time I encounter him he never remembers me and tries to have the same initial conversation. Oh Richie.

DM said...

8:22 is NEVER too early!

marie said...

nice. i like laughing in the morning, so thanks!

count buckula said...

I think I fell asleep at 7:45 the other night. oh, to be a grandpa...